I went with a farm/garden/food theme as Baby B's mum and dad have one heck of an organic garden on their one acre and mum has been active with Heifer International. I could picture Baby B sitting on the quilt watching mum or dad weed or pick fruits and vegetables (though I have a feeling he will want to be more hands on than that!)

I liked the backing fabric: red tomatoes against the grasshopper green background.

I added yellow ric-rac to the binding.


When I began I had planned on Snowball blocks alternating with simple nine patch blocks. By the end, however, I had exchanged the nine patch squares with the much more complex 54 40 or FIGHT! blocks. I really like the secondary pattern this block makes with the corners of the snowball blocks, creating a diamond effect for the farm scenes. I left the center of the 54 40 or FIGHT! block as one solid piece of watermelon fabric (the original block calls for a four patch duplicating one of the corner four patches) to create a tertiary star pattern.
The piecing is a bit off so the points don't always match up. There's an old saying "As you sew, so shall you rip." I put that into practice with this one. I've now learned to baste, baste, baste.
In the end the top wasn't flat. This lead to major problems machine quilting it. I was able to stitch in the ditch around the main diamonds, but had to tack/tie much of the rest of it.


2 comments:
Cute quilt, Jennifer! Love the fabrics you chose, I'm sure this gift will be treasured.
awesome! that is really great
Post a Comment